Left to Right:Tinka,Gunther,Ty,Cece,Rocky,Deuce & Flynn
- Raquel "Rocky" Blue, portrayed by Zendaya, is a girl who is described as very intelligent, very pretty, sweet, generous, and a goody-two shoes. Unlike her best friend CeCe, she values her intelligence more than her looks and how much fun she has. She's extremely intelligent but is more book-smart rather than street-smart, unlike CeCe. Rocky is constantly being pushed by CeCe to be more assertive and risk-taking. Her heart belongs to dancing. She is a vegetarian, as mentioned in Meatball It Up.
- Cecelia "CeCe" Jones, portrayed by Bella Thorne, is a brutally honest, and bright yet somewhat ditzy girl. She's a bright girl in the sense of being street-smart rather than book-smart like her best friend Rocky. Initially, she performs poorly in school partially because of dyslexia, but also in part because of her "trouble-making" behavior. However, she gradually improves academically as the series progresses. She is strikingly beautiful and dresses in fabulous outfits, especially considering she cares more about looks than brains. CeCe is fearless and outgoing and is constantly getting into trouble. Despite her initially failing audition due to stage fright, she eventually earned a spot as a background dancer on "Shake It Up, Chicago". She also (unwillingly) dated Gunter in "Hot Mess It Up" because of some advice she gave Gunter and Tinka's cousin, but they broke up. She has red hair that was once described as fiery.
- Flynn Jones, portrayed by Davis Cleveland, is CeCe's younger brother. Described as "wise beyond his years", his characteristics include having an appetite for bacon, playing video games and annoying his older sister. He feels a special affection for Rocky which is revealed in episode 18.His best friend is Cece's math tutor, a college graduate named Henry Dylan, who is about Flynn's age. He and Cece's parents are divorced. Their dad is mentioned only once.
- Ty Blue, portrayed by Roshon Fegan, is Rocky's older brother who is an aspiring actor. Although a skilled dancer, he passed on the chance to try out for "Shake It Up Chicago", claiming he doesn't dance for "the man" His personality is described as "hip, cool and sarcastic," and proclaims himself as a ladies' man. He and Deuce are often seen together, but have an odd friendship because they mostly tease and prank each other. A possible romance based relationship was developed in episode "Add It Up" (Season 1 Episode 4) between him and Tinka, but was not further progressed in any following episodes. He and Rocky's dad is never seen or mentioned. Their mom was seen in "Heat it Up".
- Deuce Martinez, portrayed by Adam Irigoyen, is CeCe and Rocky's street-smart friend. He is said to have an inside-track to almost everything. Deuce is best friends with Ty and is Dina's boyfriend. He often babysits Flynn, along with Ty. He and Ty are often seen together in most episodes and have an odd friendship with each other because most of the time, they tease and prank each other. In "Break It Up", it is revealed that Deuce faints at the sight of blood after Rocky show him how her foot is badly cut. In "Show It Up", he is of Cuban descent. He is also not very smart.
- Gunther Hessenheffer, portrayed by Kenton Duty, is the twin brother of Tinka (portrayed by Caroline Sunshine) who came to Chicago as exchange students from a small mountain country in the first grade.The country's name is never mentioned. It is simply called the old country. It could be Russia, Germany, or Switzerland, based on how they talk and what they wear. He and his sister are "frenemies" to Rocky and CeCe at school and as fellow dancers on "Shake It Up, Chicago. He most likely has a crush on CeCe. He owns numerous betwinklers. " Having distinct accents, the siblings wear bright, sparkly accented clothing.He learns to be cool from Ty to impress a girl. He gets the girl, but hurts Tinka's feelings. Whenever they introduce themselves, they say "I'm Gunther! And I'm Tinka. And we are... THE HESSENHEFFERS! He also modeled sweaters in the old country.
- Tinka Hessenheffer, portrayed by Caroline Sunshine, is the twin sister of Gunther (portrayed by Kenton Duty) who came to Chicago as exchange students from a small mountain country in the first grade.The country's name is never mentioned. It is simply called the old country. It could be Russia, Germany, or Switzerland, based on how they talk and what they wear. She and her brother are "frenemies" to Rocky and CeCe at school and as fellow dancers on "Shake It Up, Chicago. She is an expert betwinkler. Having distinct accents, the siblings wear bright, sparkly accented clothing. She has a date with Ty in Season 1. Whenever they introduce themselves, they say "I'm Gunther! And I'm Tinka. And we are... THE HESSENHEFFERS!"
- Gary Wilde, portrayed by R. Brandon Johnson, is the host of the dance show "Shake It Up, Chicago". He is attracted to photo shoots and drives a red Porche. He has proposed to Oprah, but has been turned down seven times. He has been arrested lots of time. Whenever he needs something done, he asks Cece and Rocky, but almost never returns the favor.
- Georgia Jones, portrayed by Anita Barone, is CeCe and Flynn's mother who is a police officer. It is hinted in "Meatball It Up" that she had CeCe at the young age of 16, as she stated that she is "still smoking hot at 29" while CeCe is 13. She might have had Flynn when she was 21.
- Marcie Blue, portrayed by Carla Renata, is Rocky and Ty's mother who owns two hair salons. Her husband is never mentioned. She might be the same age as Georgia, Cece and Flynn's mom.
- Henry Dillon, portrayed by Buddy Handleson, is Flynn's good friend. In his first appearance, he was CeCe's math tutor and later became Flynn's friend. He is a college graduate, pre-law and pre-med, though he is only eight or nine.
- Dina Garcia, portrayed by Ainsley Bailey, is Deuce's street-smart, on-off girlfriend. She is immensely rich. She is like a female Deuce.
- Mrs. Loccasio, portrayed by Renée Taylor, is a cranky elderly lady. She hates Rocky, as shown in "Give It Up". She was once a Vegas showgirl, possibly a Playboy Bunny because she said she danced in her "birthday suit".
- Uncle Frank, portrayed by Jim Pirri, is Deuce's uncle. He owns the new restaurant called Crusty's, where the kids are seen hanging out since the beginning of Season 2. He hired Deuce and Ty to work at the restaurant and is usually seen making fun of his nephew.